Sunday, July 27, 2014

Eleanor and Park (YA Realistic Romance) 6 out of 5 stars!

So I have been trying to write this review for about four days now and the words keep swirling around in my head because of all the feels that were induced by the pages.
I'm going to try and write this with zero spoilers and yet convey every ounce of passion I currently feel for this book.
Before I begin I'll just start by saying I know there will be people who'll shrug and say "Eh!" or people who wouldn't even bother because of the YA label placed on it.
But then I know there's still some people who will pick up this book and it will affect them.
I was affected, obviously.

It's the late 80's when we meet Park on the school bus and he reluctantly agrees to share his seat on the bus with a new girl simply hoping that she doesn't talk to him. Eleanor draws attention immediately, from her big curly red hair to her clothes.
Soon they begin to bond over their interest in comics and music both of them finding something they never expected to find in the other. It's a sweet story a midst the realities of high school, complete with bullies, misunderstanding parents and the sometimes sad realities that some walk through the hallways of life masking everyday.
It's a love story for everyone who may have ever considered themselves simply ordinary (or even outright geeky). It's a story for anyone who may have simply wanted to fade into the background to escape their own harsh realities. It's this same love story that will remind us of that first love, how it made us feel, how it hurt in ways we never expected to hurt.

And because I'm at another loss of what to say that could sum up my affection for this book I will leave you with this quote...

“She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” ― Rainbow RowellEleanor & Park

Fall down the rabbit hole and read it... PLEASE.
AND THAT ENDING..... NO WORDS.

I will be on my booknerdian knees praying they do this book justice if the film version comes to fruition.

Amazon:
Eleanor and Park
Barnes&Noble:
Eleanor and Park

No comments:

Post a Comment