Monday, September 15, 2014

New Recommendations and Reviews...

Hey all!
I've been quiet with my reviews but that's because I've been sick (insert boos) however I've still been reading! So I wanted to post some of the books that I have been reading with some star ratings and brief comments to help  you out if you're searching for something new to read. 

Happenstance 2
Goodreads Book Blurb: 
Erin Easter was now Erin Alderman, because Erin Alderman was dead. 

In the second installment of this USA Today bestselling series, follow protagonist Erin, a high school senior in tiny Blackwell, Oklahoma. After a terrible accident leaves two classmates dead, Erin learns that she was switched at birth. Shortly after, she moves into the home of her true parents, Sam and Julianne Alderman, transforming Erin over night from pariah of Blackwell High School, to the only child of one of the most affluent couples in town. 

Also being pursued by her childhood crush, Weston Gates, the dream she once had is now reality. But when Erin stumbles upon secrets that gives her the answers she’s been searching for, she also finds a truth she never wanted to know.



Goodreads Link for Happenstance 2 

This is the second novella in a series, you must read the first book before reading this one. I enjoyed Happenstance 2 more than I enjoyed the first installment. Maybe because the first book was leading up to this one, I don't know, but I found this one less predictable and a bit more intriguing than I anticipated it being. I absolutely look forward to the third and final installment in the series. 
If you're looking for a quick and sweet read with a dash of intrigue this may be the book for you. 

This book nerd says 3.75 stars!

Draw (Gentry Boys#1)
Goodreads Book Blurb: 
“All my life I’d always known what the Gentry boys were. A set of fraternal triplets born to a depraved family, they were rough, sexy and wild as wolves.”

SAYLOR…
I don’t even know if love is real. After running from the bastard who brutalized me, I limped back to Arizona, choosing a vibrant college town in the hopes of starting over. I never expected to find him there. Cord Gentry. He and his brothers were tough, lusty forces of nature I’d known since childhood. Years ago, Cord seduced me as a sick game. I’ve hated him ever since. Now here he is again, a man who beats other men bloody for money.
Cord has always been heartless, dangerous, not to be trusted. 
And I want him so much I can’t think.

CORD…
They called us ‘those white trash Gentry boys’ until we believed that’s what we were. Our people squatted at the edge of a hellhole prison town for generations. The childhood we endured was the stuff of nightmares. I’d learned early on that my brothers, Chase and Creed, were the only people on earth worth my time. 
They all told us we were bad, that we’d always be bad. 
The horrors of the past have scarred my soul. 
But now I need to be better. For her.


Goodreads Link for Draw 

Okay this book... 
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Sometimes I read a book that causes these little voices of protest in my head; once that happens it's hard to ignore. Thus was the issue with Draw for me. (Spoiler Free) My biggest issue with Draw would actually have to be with Saylor. 
After we figure out the reason why she hates Cord Gentry as much as she does, I don't blame her. What I did find fault in is how quickly she forgives him and sets about falling in love with him?
She seemingly goes from one awful relationship into one with Cord. 
But it's love... and it's a book... I know, but for me it didn't work. Reality kept me wanting to shake her and tell her to slow down a minute and think. 
But thinking took a back seat to all the hooking up... 
Once it happens for them... it seems to take hold of the rest of the book and the story for me kind of fell short- becoming just some words to fill up the space between each screaming orgasm. 
I did like the concept of the triplets. The  Gentry brothers have a bond that is indestructible and the author did a great job at making us really see the connection between them and how that affected both their past and their present. I loved the individual personalities each brother brought to the story and how they seemingly balanced each other out. 
I just didn't love it. 
But I'm sharing because every one has their own flavors and maybe you will love it. 

This Book Nerd Says: 2.75 Stars


I Want It That Way (2b Trilogy #1)

Goodreads Book Blurb: 
Nadia Conrad has big dreams, and she's determined to make them come true—for her parents' sake as well as her own. But between maintaining her college scholarship and working at the local day care to support herself, she barely has time to think, let alone date. Then she moves into a new apartment and meets the taciturn yet irresistible guy in 1B…. 

Daniel Tyler has grown up too fast. Becoming a single dad at twenty turned his life upside down—and brought him heartache he can't risk again. Now, as he raises his four-year-old son while balancing a full-time construction management job and night classes, a social life is out of the question. The last thing he wants is for four noisy students to move into the apartment upstairs. But one night, Nadia's and Ty's paths cross, and soon they can't stay away from each other. 

The timing is all wrong—but love happens when it happens. And you can't know what you truly need until you stand to lose it.


Goodreads Link for I Want It That Way 

I was looking forward to reading this book as I am a big fan of Aguirre's Razorland Trilogy (YA). 
This book was neither here nor there for me.
Pros:  
Ty is a single dad. I loved that aspect. 
Nadia is a college student who works hard to support herself to ease the burden from her parents. I loved that about her. Her appreciation for what she has in her parents went a long way for me.  
They both happen to live as upstairs and downstairs neighbors. Sharing sweet moments on their porch is their thing. 
Nadia's love of children and working with them is endearing. This helps in her building an adorable relationship with Ty's son. 
 Cons: 
For me, Nadia's feelings for Ty seem to develop too fast and without enough substance. Although it's not "spoken" of to him, we know how she feels and I was left with the 'hmmm....?' face. They don't spend that much time together, and half of their conversations seem to happen at night on their prospective outside porches.
I took issue with Ty's refusal to start a relationship. But that's exactly what they started anyway (A rose by any other name and all that jazz)
I took issue with Nadia's acceptance for less than she actually wants from Ty just because she doesn't want to lose him.

The premise is sweet but the story never seemed to hit that point for me. It was just... okay. I found myself distracted by Nadia's relationship with her best friend Lauren... and their roommate Max. At various points I was more interested in wanting to know more about them than Ty and Nadia. 
It was just a lot of up and downs that led to halfway frustrations for me. 

The ending was sweet so there is no sad notes. So you won't need the heartbreak tissue box for this one.

This Book Nerd Says: 3 Stars



Okay now I'm off to drink another cup of tea and start another book. 
Happy Reading!!


Follow me on Twitter: @bknerdianworld 

No comments:

Post a Comment