Wednesday, October 1, 2014

REVIEW... Just A Little Crush by Renita Pizzitola

**I received a copy of this book via the publisher & NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Goodreads Book Blurb: 
Good girls stay away from Ryder Briggs . . . or, at least, they tryto. In Renita Pizzitola’s emotional novel of heartache and seduction, one college freshman just can’t get enough.
 
Brinley Dawson doesn’t drink, she studies—and despite the accusations of her alcoholic mother, she’s still a virgin. But if Brinley’s life is so put together, why is she freaking out to be going to college with the gorgeous, green-eyed jerk she kissed on a stupid dare in high school? Ryder Briggs can have any girl he wants . . . and the rumors say that he does. So why, after publicly embarrassing Brinley four years ago, is he suddenly acting like he’s interested?
 
Ryder never forgot Brinley. In fact, those perfect seven minutes permanently raised the bar for what a kiss could be. The truth is, Ryder doesn’t dare get too close to anyone. He knows how that worked out for his parents. But when his roommate takes a shot at Brinley, Ryder can’t contain his jealousy. Now he must do the hardest thing he’s ever done: forget about sex and convince Brinley his feelings are real.
 
Brinley isn’t sure whether she believes Ryder, but for the first time, her body isn’t playing by the rules. Then she discovers that she’s an unwilling part of a cruel game, humiliating her all over again—and Ryder might be to blame. Has Brinley’s little crush turned into a huge mistake . . . or has she found the one guy worth trusting with her heart?


Goodreads- Just A Little Crush


This Book Nerd Says: 

I read this entire book in one rainy afternoon and when I finished I was upset that I had waited a week to dive into it. It was such an enjoyable story. 
Brinley Dawson is a good girl trying to enjoy her freshman year of college, finally free from the bad memories that had followed her through high school.  She intrigued me from the very first paragraph as she tries to make herself look unattractive to throw up a smoke screen at an unwanted suitor. But Brinley isn't a stuck up or conceited character rather she's pretty naive about the attention she seems to naturally attract. To me it was endearing rather than off putting. 
She quickly crosses paths with Ryder Briggs. 
The guy she met at a party years early. The guy who gave her a first kiss in a game of '7 minutes in heaven'. The same guy who proceeded to slip back into jerk mode directly after. 
Four years later they are in the same college and at the same party.
From there the story just comes together really naturally. I appreciated that beyond them being relatable characters, I really like the way they handled their situations/conflicts. They handled the situations realistically. Of course emotions ran high but they also had an appropriate amount of maturity which balanced it all perfectly.

I'll admit some of the plots points were predictable to me, but it didn't detract from the story in the very least. Plus there were other things that I truly didn't seem to see coming at all. That alone would have kept me intrigued, but it was the characters that stole my heart completely. 
Putting aside Brinley and Ryder, the rest of the characters had engaged me right from the start. But there was one in particular that made me scramble to my computer and search  to see if we were going to get more books and if she would have one of her own, Fallon

From the beginning, I was smitten with her character but as the story progressed and we got to see that fun loving Fallon has some layers to her, it was official. She became my favorite of the secondary characters. I love the natural development that the relationship that develops between Brinley and Fallon. I was so happy for it too, because while Brinley had her BFF already, she really needed that girl time partner too. In fact, one of my favorite scenes in the whole book would have to be the first time Fallon brings Brinley along to meet the 'girl crew', heck it made ME want to hang out with all of them. 

So happy to have had the pleasure of reading this story early as an ARC. 
I definitely recommend that you add it to your TBRs and check it out on release day in a couple of weeks. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next one!

I'm giving Just A Little Crush 4 Stars!(... and a Book Boyfriend Crush award for Ryder and that dang lip ring!)

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment