Friday, November 7, 2014

REVIEW... Pieces Of It All by Tracy Krimmer

An alcoholic. A scarred man. A thief.

Harvey, a twenty-two-year-old high school drop-out arrives home, a brief stint in rehab behind him and ready to start his life again. Then he meets Beth and her innocence and her desire to have it all capture him completely.

A girl on the cusp of womanhood. Determined. A bright future.

Beth, a recent high school graduate among the top in her class, can’t wait to get to college and fulfill her dreams. Then she meets Harvey and with his mysterious past, he stirs feelings in her she can't ignore.

The chemistry between them is unmistakable but Harvey doesn't trust easily and refuses to divulge his past to Beth though she wants to be a part of his future.

The pieces of their lives lie broken all around them, but can Harvey put his life back together and win Beth over before she begins her new life without him? And can Beth find the strength to become the woman she wants to be without sacrificing her integrity?


Pieces Of It All - Goodreads



**I received this book in exchange for an honest review**

This Book Nerd Says: 

I liked certain aspects about this book, but as a whole I didn't love it. 
Beth is the quintessential good girl who doesn't take risks. Now on the cusp of beginning college she meets Harvey. Harvey is back home from rehab determined to keep it all together. Everyone is wary of how fast their relationship grows serious and despite the feelings they have for each other. Harvey's past and Beth's future seem to be impossible to mesh together for them both to have happiness. 

First here's what I liked about this story. This story deals with some pretty heavy issues and I appreciated that they weren't "glossed over" or put through rose colored glasses. Because of those issues, there are lots of warning signs and red lights that you hope Beth would pick up on, and even though she didn't always get the message, she was surrounded by people who never hesitated to tell her. 

Now the things that stopped me from loving this story...
The characters. 
I started off really only liking Harvey... and while I empathized for him. I stopped relating to him when his decisions took a drastic turn for the worse. His POVs become genuinely worrisome as you begin to wonder if there are even deeper issues than we already know of. Then Beth... I never exactly warmed to her. I think it was due to the fact that she never asserted herself, and then when she did towards the end, I don't think she took enough consideration of the bigger picture. While I loved the fact that everyone had legitimate concern for Beth, I still wasn't fond of the fact that they seemed almost smothering in their overprotective warnings, something that would usually cause the person to rebel against anyway. It's a hard thing to explain because I kept getting angry wondering why everyone treated her like a child, but then she would go and do something that made me turn around and go "oh that's why..." 
Also she was too quick to fall in love and hop into relationships in my opinion. 
I didn't really connect with any of the other secondary characters either.  

I gave this book 2.5 





Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment