Friday, November 21, 2014

REVIEW...FAITHFUL by S.A. Wolfe

A bombshell waitress who wants more. A former FBI agent who wants less … except for her.

*This is a standalone novel in the FEARSOME Series.

Imogene Walsh has always been unapologetically confident and ruthlessly opinionated with people, particularly men. No one is spared from her unfiltered mouth, but it hasn’t seemed to deter Cooper MacKenzie. Although he is not the clean-cut, businessman type she’s always thought she should pursue, Imogene is drawn to the sexy outsider who is the hottest topic in town gossip, the fantasy heartthrob women love to speculate about.

She has spent most of her life in the little town of Hera, NY, putting her numerous forgettable relationships behind her and floundering in both her professional and personal life. Work and men—neither have gone well for her. Now it’s reached the point where she wants to stop playing it safe.

It may be time to live up to her tough reputation and take a chance on Cooper, the only man who isn’t intimidated by Imogene’s brash personality. However, it could be a thrilling ride that doesn't end well.


FAITHFUL - Goodreads


This Book Nerd Says: 

*I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Imogene is a say-what's-on-her-mind confident-in-her-own-skin type of woman. After being unexpectedly hurt in her last relationship she keeps all men at a distance categorized into the types of jerks that she is sure they are or will be. The complication comes in the form of the new to town former FBI agent named Cooper MacKenzie. Despite her aloof (read rude) attitude towards him, Cooper is welcomed into her tight knit group of friends, but he doesn't want to be just friends with Imogene. Imogene is already dealing with the new feelings of watching her friends moving on into their "adult lives", marrying, and moving into new phases - then Cooper charms his way into her heart. 

This was my first time reading anything by the author and so I was walking in blind so to speak. The story wasn't what I was expecting but I am just fine with that. Although it's a standalone, there was a few times that I felt I might have been missing out on some inside joke or didn't fully understand a certain comment made, that was somewhat rectified towards the middle of the book when I got some more information on the other couples that surrounded Imogene and Cooper. 

The story had a somewhat slow buildup, despite a hookup almost immediately. In that buildup, I found myself #teamCooper and wondering when Imogene was finally just going to let down her guard and stop fighting the feelings. That isn't to say that I didn't like Imogene, because I did, I kcuf-ing loved her! I just felt the simmering frustration you would feel for a friend who was hesitant to let the potential perfect guy of hers slip away. 
The story didn't fully grab me until the conflict hit. 
Unlike some other stories, this conflict felt realistic. The kind of topic you could envision yourself calling your girlfriends over for wine or ice cream (or both) while you cry it out on their shoulders. It was then that I switched my allegiance from Cooper's team and became solely #teamImogen. Don't worry though, Cooper redeems himself and we are left with several happily ever afters from the bunch of them. 
I laughed aloud several times (thanks to Imogen) and I was left with a smile at the end. I'll have check out the other stories in the series to get to know some of the others in this group better. 
I gave this book 4 Stars!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment