Friday, December 5, 2014

REVIEW... The Law Of Moses by Amy Harmon

BOOK BLURB (Goodreads)
If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.

The Law Of Moses GOODREADS


This Book Nerd Says: 

“There are laws. There are rules. And when you break them, there are consequences. Laws of nature and laws of life. Laws of love and laws of death.” 

I need to write this review a little differently. 
There seems to be a lot of buzz/controversy over this book for some reason. For me THE LAW OF MOSES was a story about a young man who felt different (who was different) and the girl who loved him because he was. 

I really hate to put any further labels on the book because I honestly think it's one of those type of stories that everyone should read... because regardless of whether you cry or not, or if you love/like/dislike it...I feel like it will make you think, and those are the kind of books that deserve to be read.  Yes, I'll admit that as I started to read I was surprised at the development of the plot, but since when did being different come to be such a controversial thing. So sure it could be stated that there's a certain element of what could be considered paranormal, but it could also be said that its so much more than any label.


"Everyone always talks about being color blind. and I get that, I do. But maybe instead of being color blind, we should celebrate color, in all its shades. it kind of bugs me that we're supposed to ignore our differences like we don't see them, when seeing them doesn't have to be a negative."

What Amy Harmon does with this story is yet another reason why I've come to love every story of hers that I've read thus far. 
I love that she continues to include and celebrate diversity in every single one of her books. 
I never feel like I'm reading the same story twice, and that is such the case when it comes to the story of Moses and Georgia. 
Moses and Georgia are drawn together even when no one around them seems to understand. Despite fighting against it Moses gives into his feelings before he is reminded of how almost everyone around him views him, and as we are told in the prologue, Georgia loses him. It's a bumpy painful journey until they find their way back to each other, and even then we have to take a deep breath as you watch them contend with the obstacles keeping them apart again. 


"I hope you can forgive me. Because this is happening. Me and Georgia. 

This is happening."


I found that this is a story not just about first love, it's a story about real love, second chance love, and forgiveness.  I fell in love with Georgia's spunk and sass very early on, and in the end Moses' character maturation made my heart feel full. 
So as I finished the story and thought of my little four year old boy sleeping in his Batman bed, wearing his essential Batman pajamas- I felt. I thought. And I felt some more. 
Then...
I smiled. 

4.5 Stars for THE LAW OF MOSES

The Law of Moses - AMAZON

The Law of Moses - Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment