Monday, December 22, 2014

REVIEW.... Mending Michael by J.P. Grider

Mending Michael cover

Mending Michael
(Hunter Hill University #2)
Genre: Romance
Age category: New Adult
Release Date: December 13, 2014





Blurb:
There is a fine line between love and hate.

When bartender Mick Ross first sees Holly Buchanan walk into Donny's Bar, his heart comes to a halt. That is, until she serves him her fake ID and reveals her true nature when she's declined her drink.

Holly thinks Mick is an ass, and she has no clue why he can't stand her. Though, she does enjoy looking at his ass.

So, when Donny hires Holly to waitress at his bar, she must either deal with Mick's hatred toward her or give him a taste of his own medicine.

Tensions are high.
Comments are made.
Hearts are hurt.
But if there really is a fine line between love and hate, then Mick and Holly must decide on which side they stand.


You can find Mending Michael on Goodreads


About the Author:
J.P. Grider is a Young Adult and New Adult author. She is the author of six novels. Her young adult series The Honor Trilogy consists of A Touch of Honor, A Man of Honor, and A Heart of Honor, while her first two novels - Unplugged (A Portrait of a Rock Star) and Maybe This Life - are standalone adult contemporary novels. Her most recent release is the new adult romance Calling California, which is the first in her Hunter Hill University series. The next book in the series – Mending Mick – will be released in October, 2014. All the books in the Hunter Hill University series will be standalone books and can be read in any order.
You can follow J.P. on Facebook at J.P. Grider, Author, on Instagram and Twitter @JPGrider1, and on her blog at jpgrider.com.

You can find and contact J.P. Grider here:
- Website
- Facebook
- Twitter
- Goodreads
- Pinterest
- Instagram
- Tumblr



*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review*
This Book Nerd Says: 
I happened to read Mending Michael, the second book in the the Hunter Hill University series, before I read the first book in the series. Although it's a standalone and isn't dependent on reading Calling California first, I kind of wished I did because I found myself at times feeling like I missed out on something that would enlighten me about some of the preexisting relationships that surround Holly and Michael. That being said I still found it to be a good standalone read. 
Michael, or Mick as he's more commonly referred to, is a bartender at his uncle's establishment with way more on his plate than the average college student. From the very beginning we can see that he has seemingly become the only responsible person left in his sister and beloved niece's life. When the only remaining love of his life is taken away from him he struggles to figure out how to get her back. 
His unlikely ally comes in the form of the girl he hates. Holly Buchanan. Holly finds herself pulled into Mick's drama, yet surprisingly she wants to help though days before she wished to avoid him at all costs. It's easier to focus on helping Mick than trying to find the courage to stand up for what she really wants out of her own life. 
The two of them soon find themselves entangled in a furious game of emotional tug of war. It's a bumpy ride to find out whether love or hate will win out in the end. 

When I first began to read the book, one of my very first thoughts were. I really don't like this Holly character. It wasn't hard for me to empathize with Mick's dislike of her.  I'm thinking that was a little bit of the author's intention because as the story develops, Holly is revealed to be really a very layered character. The way she expresses herself seems to frustrate her own self just as much as she frustrated me at times. She definitely surprised me as I felt a reversal and began to empathize with her much more than any other characters. 

Mending Michael deals with some serious topics in the course of Mick and Holly's love story. I always grow wary of people falling in love when I begin to notice some red flags. But what I appreciated about the story was despite the "I want to be with you... but I won't/can't" is that the author made sure these issues were actually addressed by the characters. There was no sweeping serious problems under the rug and hoping that us readers forgot about them. 
I am giving MENDING MICHAEL 3.5 Stars!

Upon finishing the book I received an opportunity to read the first book in the series, Calling California. So stay tuned for that review coming very soon!









1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for reading and reviewing Mending Michael. :)

    ReplyDelete