Sunday, December 7, 2014

REVIEW... Walk WIth Me by Kaitlyn Stone

* I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Book Blurb (Goodreads)

Inspired by true events, this book is for mature readers due to the adult nature and scenes. 18+

What dictates the path in life we take and who we choose to walk with?

After escaping her abusive parents, nineteen-year-old Kenna Sloane is determined to create an independent life, free of emotional distraction. The last thing this focused college student wants is a relationship, especially with a hot rookie cop popular with the badge bunnies.

When Kenna reluctantly agrees to a double date with Santa Monica cop Donovan Alexander, she's launched on an exciting and dangerous journey. With time, she discovers some souls are instinctively drawn together to quiet the pain of their traumatic pasts. But even after the revelation of Donovan's own secret burden, Kenna continues to battle the fear she may be too broken for her modern day knight in blue.

Can Kenna open her heart to the healing light of true love before peril strikes?
 


Walk WIth Me GOODREADS



This Book Nerd Says: 

Kenna finally on her own after escaping her abusive home life. It's a secret that she doesn't share with most of the people around her, not even her best friend. She doesn't want a relationship, doesn't want to be tied to anyone, but when she meets Donovan - he challenges her own rules. 
Usually I wait until the end of my review to give my rating but I need to put it out there now so I can explain my thoughts on this book properly. I gave this book a solid three stars. 
First- the things I liked about the story. 
I greatly enjoyed the premise of this book. With all the men in uniform stories I have read, I haven't read a story exactly like this, so I enjoyed the refreshing change. 
Donovan as a cop was definitely a character I wanted to get to know better and couldn't help but to be drawn to. He has some depth to his character which I enjoyed because it gave him more than just the sexy new cop on the job label. It's largely due to Donovan that I wanted to continue reading.
When they open up to each other, it was nice to see the potential for their future become a bit more believable. 
Now to the things that kept this book at the three star range for me: 
I understand the trauma of Kenna's life kept her from wanting to be "claimed" as someone else's, to be dependent on someone who could hold all the power to break her. It's a legitimate worry especially as she is finally enjoying a life of freedom finally. BUT... I still couldn't help but to wonder where was her judgement when she made some of the decisions in the first part of the book mainly regarding Cruz. 
And then there was the dialogue. 
Something about the dialogue between characters just felt off, stiff. I get that they had "old souls", heck I consider myself to be one, but it didn't feel natural. Some of the word choices had me scratching my head wondering why two best friends chatting about going out on dates came off as if they were reading from a script.

No comments:

Post a Comment