Monday, February 23, 2015

REVIEW... Scared Of Forever by Jacqueline Abrahams

Every lie, no matter how small, has some degree of truth.

Five months after moving to New York City, Emily is engaged to Blake Carson, future doctor and the man who she believes to be the love of her life. Until she starts to realize that the foundation upon which she’s building her future is based on a series of Blake’s self-serving lies.

Blake can’t let her go. He can’t continue to deceive Emily, either. But Blake’s biggest problem is that he has to maintain the life he has become accustomed to, at any cost. And that means keeping his overbearing mother happy, and keeping Emily ignorant.

Tyler Carson left New York City two years ago, happy to leave behind all of the Carson family drama. Until he comes home and meets Emily. Falling in love with his brother’s fiancĂ©e was easy. Protecting her from his family was necessary. Leaving her was almost impossible, knowing that he was breaking her heart, and his own.

Finding solace in her friendship with Tyler, Emily is forced to face the reality that Blake is not the man she thought he was. But neither is Tyler, the friend who gave her the clarity she needed, and then left her alone to pick up the shattered pieces of her life. Heartbroken and deserted, Emily has had enough of the Carson brothers.

But sometimes, love is not that which sends us soaring, but that which keeps us grounded. Can Emily ever bring herself to love another Carson completely?

Secrets, lies and lust-filled nights, all in the name of the screwed-up pursuit of happily ever after, Scared of Forever is the second novel in the Scared Series, which features characters from Scared of Beautiful, but can be read as a standalone.


Scared Of Forever GOODREADS 

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says: 
I read this book as a standalone.
From the description alone I knew I was getting into a love triangle situation... but by the time I had made it to about page 15 of the story, I had pretty much decided that I already hated Blake. That factor alone softened the blow of the tangled web of two brothers and a girl they love. Something else that caught me by surprise was the fact that there was A LOT of stuff going on with the characters besides this one huge thing. The backstory we unravel was full of little shockers that help us understand the truth of the Carson family and how the estrangement came to be. 
There was an abundance of familial pressure on each brother, both for similar and also very different reasons. Tyler and Blake both handle the pressure from their demanding mother very differently and I think as much as this was a love story, it had a story of reconciliation as well. The problem I did have is that I wish we got to see a bit more of the actual reconciliation, especially between Tyler and his mother. It seemed that their very strained relationship was very easily healed to me. 
Speaking of easy... the amount of insta-love that happens in this story was at epic levels. For this reason especially I don't think I every really liked Emily. Being young and innocent is one thing but I found her naivety exasperating very quickly. 
Tyler Carson was my favorite part of this book. I found his character refreshing and despite his own insta love issues, when we get to know him deeper as a character, it isn't so hard to forgive him for it.
While I was okay with the ending I was left wanting. I wish we would have had a bit more information to inform of the reasoning behind some of the decisions both Emily and Tyler made during their time apart. Also as sweet as the ending was, I felt like it was all on warp speed and it was over as soon as it began.  
I read this book in one sitting on a Saturday afternoon. I'm giving it 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment