Monday, March 9, 2015

BLOG TOUR REVIEW.. The Problem With Heartache by Lauren K. McKellar






The problem with heartache is that there’s no one-size-fits-all relief package. You can go to classes; you can try to embrace change. But when you wake up at two in the morning, a smile on your face because you’ve dreamt about the could have—the should have—nothing will console you.

Because seconds later, you remember.

And remembering can rip you apart


***

Kate will do anything for her family. It’s why she took the job with Lee. It’s why she’s attempting to forget her pain. But it's hard to forget, when you're desperate to hold on. Even if Lee Collins is the perfect package.

Lee will do anything for the ones he cares about. It’s why he hired Kate. 
It’s why he keeps his secrets; and it’s why he cannot, will not fall in love. Not with Kate—not with anyone.
Ever.

The one thing he can’t forgive.
The one thing she can’t forget



This Book Nerd Says: 

This is the third book in a series, but I read this book as a standalone. This is definitely a true love story. It's the story of two people who had found love and lost it. While their loves were lost in two different ways, they both know what it feels like to feel broken. Kate needs to figure out how to move past her pain, past wanting to live in the past; when she does she also need to figure out how to forgive herself for letting go. 
Lee is determined to redeem himself from his actions in the past. He wants to make sure everyone around him that he cares about is taken care of. His secrets haunt him and hold him back from acting on his own heart's desires. Lee takes care of everyone but himself. 
But the resolve of both Kate and Lee is about to be tested in a way neither of them counted on. Lee's decision to make sure Kate is okay comes in direct opposition of his decision to leave love out of his life. 

How could he take care of Kate when the best thing for her heart is giving her his in return?

If you've been reading my blog for a while you'll know what the mark of a good book is for me already, so I'll go ahead and answer your question now. Yes, Lee is truly book boyfriend material but Kate is a girl that I wish I could hang out with.  I loved her approach to all the situations on her plate and I found myself drawn to her character and empathetic to her emotions and reactions. 

I loved reading about these two finding their way into a friendship and into a love that is more than what they ever expected. Both of their genuine concern and care for others is a reflection of the true heart of their characters. This story also deals with some serious conditions that affect people. Not only does this bring awareness to those who suffer through the affects of the diseases it gives us a realistic view of how the family and others around those dealing with such conditions are affected. In my case this made the characters more relatable and REAL. They're not perfect... and that makes the story even sweeter. 

The drawbacks I did have throughout the story is the fact that I did read this as a standalone. There were a few times that I wished I had read the previous stories because I felt like I was a little lost on some of the references to the past that I assume were in the other books. Those moments would pull me out of being fully lost in the story.  I wondered if I was missing out on some background knowledge of the other characters beyond Kate and Lee. So while I could say sure go ahead and jump into this one, if I could do it over again I probably would have read the previous books first, but that would be my personal preference. 



I gave this book 3.5 Stars!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lauren K. McKellar is an author and editor. Her debut novel, Finding Home, was released through Escape Publishing on October 1, 2013, and her second release, NA Contemporary Romance The Problem With Crazy, is self-published, and is available now. She loves books that evoke emotion, and hope hers make you feel.

Lauren lives by the beach in Australia with her husband and their two dogs. Most of the time, all three of them are well behaved.


No comments:

Post a Comment