Tuesday, April 28, 2015

5 STAR REVIEW... Kissing Madeline by Lex Martin

What’s the worst thing about wanting a sexy NFL football player? Everyone else wants him, too. 

 After catching my boyfriend getting deep-throated by a skanky cage girl, I've learned my lesson – never date a professional athlete. Never. Besides, I have more important things to worry about, like not blowing my shot to make it as a broadcast reporter. I won’t let anything get in my way, not even the new “it boy” of the NFL and my hot-as-hell neighbor.
 
What's the worst thing about getting death glares from his new neighbor? It doesn't make him want her any less. 
 
I've worked my ass off to make it to the pros. The last thing I need is the complication of a relationship, especially since my last one was a total train wreck. But I can’t stop thinking about the feisty girl next door with the smart mouth. And I’d love nothing more than to show her what to do with that mouth.
 
Friends with benefits might be the best idea he’s ever had. Or the worst. 

Kissing Madeline is a companion novel to DEAREST CLEMENTINE and FINDING DANDELION. Each book is a stand-alone.



*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says: 
As you could have gathered from the title of this post I pretty much completely loved this story. So instead of dwelling on the did I/did I not like this one, I want to get straight down to the business of why I did. This was my first read by Lex Martin but it certainly won't be my last. Now normally when I read a book that's part of a series I try to start from the beginning but in this case due to time I jumped straight into Kissing Madeline trusting the stand-alone label. Sure there were a few indications of events that had taken place in the two prior novels, and there were times when those characters show up in this book, but as a whole I was definitely satisfied in this book standing on its own- if anything it just made me want to read the other two books even more (they are already sitting on my kindle waiting for me)! 

Now because I didn't read Dearest Clementine prior to reading Kissing Madeline, I began reading with a clean character slate. That being said, I knew that I was going to have a major thing for Daren by the time I finished the prologue. I was completely hooked. Not only is he a football player (*swoon*), he has a great character. Sure he had a past marked by a very regrettable mistake but it's evident that it was the exception to his story, not his rule. I couldn't stop reading because I genuinely enjoyed getting to know him and his side of the story. He is beautifully layered, real, and when he lays eyes on Madeline... 

"Kissing Madeline is heavenly." 

Madeline is made of the stuff that makes up the best of the best of NA heroines. I love a smart, take-charge, funny, and down to earth woman. Madeline just feels so real and relatable that it's easy to fall in love with her. Burned badly by her ex-boyfriend, she decides to steer clear of any type of romantic relationship with an athlete. Life however had other plans when she realizes her new neighbor is none other than Daren Sloane. If that wasn't enough when her job thrusts him back into her life, it seems avoiding him is definitely no longer an option. 

"Just enjoy each other's company like we said. With the option to reassess." 

Both characters handle the progression of their relationship with a great sense of real life maturity, so the angsty situations are well done and never drawn out to the point of frustration. In fact it was some of those situations that had my mind so in tuned with a sense of what's going to happen next that I couldn't have stopped reading if I tried. I made a note at the 40% mark that I knew this was going to be a favorite read before I even got to the end. 

"Babe, I can't help what happened before we got together, but I can tell you this. You're the only woman I've ever wanted to see first thing in the morning. The only one who made me want something other than football. Who made me think I could have more out of life." 

And then I got to the end... 
Just so good. Definitely a new favorite book, new favorite author, and I'm sure when I read the other two books (soon) that this will be one of my favorite series as well.

Hope you check it out! Happy Reading!!


Twenty-year-old Clementine Avery doesn't mind being called bitchy and closed off. It's safe, and after being burned by her high school sweetheart and stalked by a professor her freshman year of college, safe sounds pretty damn good.

Her number one rule for survival? No dating. That is until she accidentally signs up for a romance writing class and needs material for her latest assignment. Sexy RA Gavin Murphy is more than happy to play the part of book boyfriend to help Clem find some inspiration, even if that means making out...in the name of research, of course.

As Gavin and Clem grow closer, they get entangled in the mystery surrounding a missing Boston University student, and Clem unwittingly becomes a possible target. Gavin tries to show Clem she can handle falling in love again, but she knows she has to be careful because her heart’s at stake…and maybe even her life.

DEAREST CLEMENTINE is a stand-alone novel with two companion novels. This New Adult romance is recommended for readers 18+ due to mature content.


At the time of writing this review, Dearest Clementine (Dearest #1) is still FREE on Amazon so you might want to grab that goodie. 



When soccer all-star Jax Avery collides with Dani Hart on his twenty-first birthday, their connection is instantaneous and explosive. For the first time in years, Jax isn’t interested in his usual hit-it and quit-it approach.

But Dani knows better. Allowing herself a night to be carefree and feel the intensity of their attraction won’t change anything when it comes to dealing with a player. So when Jax doesn’t recognize Dani the next time he sees her, it shouldn’t be a total shock. The fact that he’s her new roommate's brother? That’s a shock.

Dani doesn’t regret that night with Jax, just the need to lie about it. Since her roommate has made it clear what she thinks about her brother’s “type” of girl, the last thing Dani wants is to admit what happened. 

Jax knows he’s walking a fine line on the soccer team. One more misstep and he’s off the roster, his plans to go pro be damned. Except he can’t seem to care. About anything… except for the one girl who keeps invading his dreams.

Despite Jax’s fuzzy memory of his hot hookup with his sister’s friend, he can’t stay away from her, even if it means breaking his own rules. But there are bigger forces at work–realities that can end Dani’s college career and lies that can tear them apart. 

Jax realizes what he’s losing if Dani walks away, but will he sacrifice his future to be with her? And will she let him if he does?

FINDING DANDELION, the second book in the Dearest series, is a stand-alone novel. This New Adult romance is recommended for readers 18+ due to mature content


No comments:

Post a Comment