Saturday, May 30, 2015

REVIEW... Fighting For Flight by JB Salsbury

What happens when in order to win, you’re forced to lose?

The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she’s content with the simple life. Flying under the radar is all she knows, and more than she expects.

Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy Jonah Slade. 

Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he’s trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he’s at the height of his career. But resisting Raven’s effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can’t win. 

Jonah trades in his bad-boy reputation and puts his heart on the line. But when her father contacts her, setting in motion the ugly truth of her destiny, Jonah must choose. In a high-stakes gamble where love and freedom hang in the balance, a war is waged where the price of losing is a fate worse than death.

Will the hotheaded Jonah be able to restrain his inner fighter to save the woman he loves? 

Or will Raven be forced into a life she’s been desperate to avoid?



Fighting For Flight by JB Salsbury


This Book Nerd Says: 

I'm was in the mood for a good fighter romance and I saw I had this box set setting in my TBR. At some deeper investigation I saw others raving about this series as the best and a lot of 5 Stars were given. This was a big mistake. I wish I would have just gone into this book blind. I don't think I would have changed my rating but maybe I wouldn't have placed my expectations as high. 
The prologue of the book is extremely dark and gritty and set an influential tone for the rest of the book (Mature Audience alert). Told in a dual POV, the story introduces us to twenty year old Raven, a Las Vegas mechanic who enjoys her simple life. On the other hand there's Jonah, notorious UFL fighter weeks away from a title fight. When the two meet... magic  insta-love happens. 
Gah okay guys... you know I have an issue with the insta-love like 90% (92%) of the time. I kind of have an issue with it this time. Frankly put, I didn't understand their love connection. It went from lust to love so fast that I actually went back to reread and make sure that I didn't miss something. Maybe it was done this way to keep the pacing, but still...
I had things that made me like and also dislike both Raven and Jonah. They stayed on pretty even playing field for me throughout the story. In the end I liked them just as much as I thought I would landing them right smack dab in the middle of my character likeability meter (yeah I have one of those). 
That being said, I enjoyed the secondary characters a lot. Since this is the start of the series. I'm excited to see some of them get their own stories. I guess that also tells you all that I'm more than likely going to check out the other books, and hey at least I have personal experience with this author now and know what to expect for my book nerd palate. 

I am giving this book 3 Stars. Solid kickoff of a series. I'll let you know what I think about the rest as I get to them. 
Happy Reading Nerds!

No comments:

Post a Comment