Monday, May 11, 2015

REVIEW... The Mistake by Elle Kennedy

He’s a player in more ways than one…

College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hook-ups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road he’ll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that he’s worth a second chance.

Now he’s going to need to up his game…

After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. She’s not a charity case, and she’s not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? He’ll have to work for it. This time around, she’ll be the one in the driver’s seat…and she plans on driving him wild.
 





This Book Nerd Says: 
So it wasn't that long ago when I came on the blog to rave about how much I loved The Deal by Elle Kennedy (if you need a reminder just click here ) and how eager I was to read  the second OFF CAMPUS book, The Mistake. Well now I'm finally talking about it here on the blog...
The Mistake is a dual POV new adult book that's perfect for those who love some a sports romance. We've met Logan before as the best friend of Garrett (The Deal) but The Mistake has him crossing paths with Grace, a play it safe Freshman who is determined to start making some fun memories in college. When a chance encounter leads to an opportunity for a fun distraction, Logan thinks that it is just what he needs. But Grace turns out to be anything but a distraction and a mistake in judgement makes Logan sure that he wants a second chance with her...

"I said everything I needed to say that night. It was a mistake." 

So even though it was The Deal that introduced me to this author and had me eager for the rest of this series, I have to say that what I enjoyed most about this book is that it wasn't The Deal part 2. I loved  Garrett and Hannah (The Deal), there can't be another Garrett and Hannah, but there could be a Logan and Grace. 
And I loved Logan and Grace for exactly who they were. 
I am now thoroughly convinced that Kennedy is an expert at creating character parfaits. They are beautiful and delicious but what makes them is the layers. 
Logan is another fantastic example of this at work. He's the gorgeous hockey player that all the girls want, but no one really knows him. He has these beautiful layers, honest ones... some sad ones... things that he wants desperately to distract himself from... all of these making him imperfectly perfect. 
And then there's Grace. 
If I loved Hannah for her sarcasm and wit, then I equally love Grace for her awkward realness. Grace is the girl I'd want to hang out with. With her penchant for serial killer ramblings and her penchant to babble, Grace steals the show from early on and keeps you entertained and connected to her character.

I mentioned that I loved the secondary characters in my review of the first book, the same is true here. Taking that a step further, the friendships were a standout feature in this book. They all were unique, sometimes messy and difficult, but very real. Logan and Garrett. Grace and Ramona. All the secondary characters play a role in the story's development but it was both sets of these "best friendships" that had a STRONG influence on our MCs and added yet another layer to those character parfaits I mentioned. 

The drama is there but it was realistic, never overdone or overdrawn out. This is a New Adult book whose characters actually have a true New Adult maturity level. Something that *this* book nerd loves to see  read. Instead of the angst, we get tons of humor, laugh out loud moments and romantic gestures that will make your cheeks hurt from smiling (and one instance when my eyes welled up with tears). 

"I love you, you stupid jackass." 

I gave The Mistake 4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment