Wednesday, June 3, 2015

REVIEW... Dissident by Cecilia London

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

She once was important. Now she’s considered dangerous.

In a new America where almost no one can be trusted, Caroline lies unconscious in a government hospital as others decide her fate. She is a political dissident, wanted for questioning by a brutal regime that has come to power in a shockingly easy way. As she recovers from her injuries, all she has are her memories. And once she wakes up, they may not matter anymore.

Dissident is a blend of romantic suspense, contemporary romance, political thriller, and speculative fiction. Told mostly in flashback, it details the budding relationship between our heroine, Caroline and Jack, the silver fox playboy who tries to win her heart.

The Bellator Saga is a six part series. Each part is a full length novel between 60,000-120,000 words and ends in a cliffhanger. For readers 18+. This saga contains adult situations, including non-gratuitous violence, explicit (consensual) sex, psychological and physical trauma, and an oftentimes dark and gritty plot (particularly in part two)









This Book Nerd Says: 

So I'm about to fan girl out for a bit (don't say you weren't warned!). 
When the author asked me to read and review this book I was definitely intrigued with the synopsis. I've made it no secret that I love a wide variety of genres, while this blog focuses on my love of a great love story, I get pretty excited when I find a book like Dissident that takes a love story and mixes it up with a bit of intrigue, some scandal, a dash of action and a little whodunit to top it off.  I was immediately sucked into the book by the prologue alone and wasn't able to stop reading it until I reached the end. 

"I don't want to be lonely anymore. I don't want to be miserable. I want to feel good again. But I don't know what I'd do if this fell apart." 

Not to be swayed by the synopsis, Dissident is without a doubt a love story. The relationship between Caroline and Jack is a lovely slow burn that was perfect. They are mature characters that bring that intelligence and life experience to the story at the same time that they're able to bring a fun dynamic that had me smiling from ear to ear. 
Thinking about my favorite things about the book, the dialogue definitely comes to mind. It was well written and I thoroughly enjoyed the banter. London did a great job at expressing each character's personalities in the dialogue alone.  
Caroline's humor and wit make her so character so endearing; Jack balances the sexy and the smolder with being a good guy with an even greater heart. It's hard not to fall for both of them even as you read about them falling for each other. 
Even among the politics of the book, the relationships that Caroline has with those around her stand out in the foreground. Aside from Jack and her children, I was so interested in these personal relationships because of the nature of this plot. You begin to wonder who really has Caroline's back, if everyone is as they appear to be... and I really can't wait to continue this series to find out. 
I mentioned before that I thoroughly enjoyed the author's writing style. Throughout the book the time alternates between two different time periods, but most of it is set five years prior as we get to see the beginning of Caroline and Jack. The alternating times are well done and easy to follow so don't worry about any distraction from that. We are warned in the synopsis that this book will leave you on a cliffhanger, and it's definitely a good one. 

This is a fantastic debut to a series I can't wait to follow as it emerges, I'll make sure to keep you all updated as it becomes available. 

I am giving DISSIDENT 4 very solid stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment