Wednesday, June 10, 2015

REVIEW... Gus by Kim Holden

The journey that began in top-rated, best-selling Bright Side, continues ... 

This is the story of Gus. 
Losing himself. 
Finding himself. 
And healing along the way. 

“ … but the honest-to-God truth is I don’t even know how to function anymore. Bright Side wasn’t only my best friend; she was like my other half ... the other half of my brain, the other half of my conscience, the other half of my sense of humor, the other half of my creativity, the other half of my heart. How do you go back to doing what you did before, when half of you is gone forever?” 



GUS on GOODREADS

Buy GUS on Amazon







This Book Nerd Says: 
*Note to the reader, if you haven't read Bright Side I would advise you skip this review as it might contain some unintentional plot spoilers for you. If you have then please continue...*

As a follow up to its predecessor Bright Side, I was fearful of Gus. You see Bright Side had me in a 'do epic' book hangover after an intense ugly cry that was never to be forgotten. So you don't need to wonder why I needed a few weeks of emotional prepping before I was even ready to start the first page. But when I did...
"Have you ever been in love?"
He hasn't blinked. "Once." 
"How long did it last?"
Looking back up to the sky, he answers. "Twenty one years... and three days." 

Gus is an equally emotional story is a completely different way. You see I have often noted in my personal life that for me the real grief after loss is not at the death bed, not at the funeral, but it comes in all the tomorrows after. The real grief is what sneaks in as your forced to return to life without that person actively in it.... 
Gus. 

"How do you go back to doing what you did before, when half of you is gone forever?"

This isn't just a typical love story. 
Gus is the story of returning to life after a great loss and it just happens to have some sweet love stories in there as well. We watch him spiral away from the person he was, the person Kate had loved, as he tries to find anything to numb him from the outside in. But in the same spiral, he crosses paths with Scout the impatient tour manager who captures his attention. 
Wanting to get away from home as tries to heal herself and find her strength she ends up working with Gus' band. She sets her goals and sights on accomplishments that are designed to help her reclaim her confidence again, and when she gets an unexpected job offer that lands her in close proximity to Gus for the second time, the two of them forge a unique relationship. Now I loved their relationship because it was such a gradual build based on a friendship that gets them through two very different bad emotional ruts. Sticky notes have never been as romantic as Gus and Scout make them. 

"I want to learn everything about you, Scout... But there's time for that tomorrow and the day after that. Tonight I just want to fall asleep with you. And tomorrow morning I want to wake up with you. I'm working on the whole living in the moment thing, and now... this moment, that's all I want."

Gus does find himself and his muse again as he works through his grief to find peace again. Surrounded by people who love him and who love Kate, he finds peace, love, purpose, and hope. In turn he gives all that to those around him as well. 
You're going to kinda sorta definitely have some  more heart swelling feelings for Gus by the end of the book. 
And in case you needed another pull at the ol' heart strings.

"I hope you find someone to give your heart to. If our friendship is any indication of your capacity to love, the woman you end up with will not know what hit her when you fall in love with her."

I gave Gus 4.5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment