Monday, July 6, 2015

DOUBLE REVIEW... A football player and a hockey player walk into a bar....

I wanted to take a moment and put out two short reviews for two recent (much loved) reads. 

First up...
ZACK (Cold Fury Hockey #3)
By Sawyer Bennett


Rising star Zack Grantham has been stuck in a downward spiral of grief ever since the car accident that left him a single dad and put his career on hold. Back on the road with the Carolina Cold Fury and still crippled by emotional baggage, he’s in need of some serious help with his son. But while the nerdy new nanny wins his son’s heart, Zack isn’t sure he’s ready for a woman’s touch—even after getting a glimpse of the killer curves she’s hiding under those baggy clothes.

Kate Francis usually keeps men like Zack at a distance. Though his athlete’s body is honed to perfection, he refuses to move on with his life—and besides, he’s her boss. Still, the sparks between them are undeniable, tempting Kate to turn their professional relationship into a personal one. But before she makes a power play for Zack’s wounded heart, Kate will have to open him up again and show him that love is worth the fight.





*I received a copy of ZACK from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says:
We definitely got a glimpse of Zack and the setup for this story when Sawyer Bennett gave us Garrett.  If you didn't read Garrett and want absolutely no spoilers you might not want to finish reading his review, you can skip on down to the second half. 
Alright now that we have that little bit out of the way. 
I absolutely adored this story. I walked into this book (having read Alex and Garrett already) loving this group of friends. Upon finishing the story those feelings were only further solidified. 
Now I've heard murmurings that some people had issues with Zack being a jerk but I didn't have that experience. I understood that Zack's behavior was greatly affected by the variety of emotions he was feeling throughout the story. Did he have some jerkish moments? Absolutely. But I was able to separate the actions from the character since I was aware of the true reasons behind his emotional conflict. 
My favorite thing about this story wasn't Zack though, it was Kate. Kate is hands down, zero argument, my fave character in this story. Why? Because she is everything I heart to see in a female MC. She is smart, determined, witty, and strong; absolutely a contender for a spot on my beloved book bestie list!
I gave Zack 4 Stars


Now let's talk about the football player... 

All Played Out (Rusk University #3)
by Cora Carmack


First person in her family to go to college? CHECK.
Straight A’s? CHECK.
On track to graduate early? CHECK.
Social life? …..yeah, about that….

With just a few weeks until she graduates, Antonella DeLuca’s beginning to worry that maybe she hasn’t had the full college experience. (Okay... Scratch that. She knows she hasn't had the full college experience).

So Nell does what a smart, dedicated girl like herself does best. She makes a "to do" list of normal college activities.

Item #1? Hook up with a jock.

Rusk University wide receiver Mateo Torres practically wrote the playbook for normal college living. When he’s not on the field, he excels at partying, girls, and more partying. As long as he keeps things light and easy, it's impossible to get hurt... again. But something about the quiet, shy, sexy-as-hell Nell gets under his skin, and when he learns about her list, he makes it his mission to help her complete it.

Torres is the definition of confident (And sexy. And wild), and he opens up a side of Nell that she's never known. But as they begin to check off each crazy, exciting, normal item, Nell finds that her frivolous list leads to something more serious than she bargained for. And while Torres is used to taking risks on the field, he has to decide if he's willing to take the chance when it's more than just a game.

Together they will have to decide if what they have is just part of the experiment or a chance at something real.
 

All Played Out GOODREADS

This Book Nerd Says: 
I'm convinced that this series is the gift that keeps on giving. The latest present is Mateo Torres.
When I say that Mateo is everything... I mean that Mateo is EVERYTHING. 
Now you all know that I love depth in my characters and Mateo has some of the most surprising and beautiful layers. The story wastes no time in revealing Mateo's vulnerabilities underneath his flirty confident jock exterior. I was hooked at first glimpse. 
Let's put Mateo on pause for a moment while I talk about Nell. 
Nell... Nell... Nell.
Nell is my spirit animal. Gosh I love her. I easily lost myself in her character, feeling a connection with her that I haven't felt with a character in quite a few reads. She's a smart girl who is determined to have some fun in her college life before she closes that chapter in her life; what I loved about this isn't that she wasn't trying to change who she was, she was just trying to enhance her life. 
Mateo+Nell= book magic. Cora Carmack you've set the bar really high now!

5 STARS!






And don't forget...
Hop over here and enter to win one of the prizes in the  

No comments:

Post a Comment