Thursday, July 30, 2015

Spotlight REVIEW... Pitching To Win by Carrie Aarons

What do you do when the town golden boy, who never noticed you in high school, decides to make a play for your heart?

For Minka Braxton, high school has been anything but easy. After a humiliating scandal sophomore year, she's avoided the social scene and anything having to do with boys, especially of the popular variety. But with senior year approaching, Minka decides it's time to take life back into her own hands. That is, until Owen Axel, the type of guy she's always avoided, decides he wants her in his hands.

Owen Axel is the definition of popular. Good looks, all-star worthy pitching arm and a former pro-athlete father make him Mitchum's town God. Returning from college for the summer, his plan is simple. Beach, booze, and beautiful girls. But one look at Minka Braxton and he knows what he wants. He just doesn't count on her not wanting him.

As the summer unfolds, both must decide how much to reveal, how deep they should fall, and what might happen if they strike out.




*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says: 

I wanted to give this recent read a bit of a spotlight review. I think it's fairly common knowledge that I love a good sports story, so I was definitely curious about this one. 

Minka knows all too well how it feels to be the ongoing joke among the popular crowd. After being the butt on a humiliating prank she avoids any time in the social limelight preferring to stay out the outskirts of all the activity. Her plan works relatively well until baseball star Owen Axel sets his eyes on her. 

I found this read to be pretty refreshing. 
I was wary of the drama level when I realized the one of the MCs was still a high school student, but Minka surprised me. I kept expecting out of proportion blowups but I was very pleased to see that the majority of the story felt extremely realistic. The progression of Minka and Owen's relationship was fitting to their situations in life and I enjoyed that it flowed pretty swiftly. 

It also touched on some topics that I enjoyed watching develop. These include Minka's self confidence, and both her and Owen's strained relationships with their respective parents. It's these relationships that made the book stand out for me. 

I was torn between 3.5 stars and 4 stars for most of the the book. I settled on 3.5 stars and here's why. 
While most of the book is noticeably absent of the unneeded angst and conflict, there was some drama. It's not the drama that I minded. It might have been a little too perfect without any... BUT the drama that did come didn't sit well with me. I think it's just because I didn't find the reactions to the "revelation" fitting with the character. Maybe I just had a higher expectation from them at the point that it all went down - which could also be a compliment to how much I enjoyed the maturity (of Owen especially). 
That being said, I still really enjoyed it and would look forward to reading a continuation of the story. I felt like the author gave us a really good set up for future stories to come that would focus on Minka and Owen's friends. I definitely would follow this one to see what comes. 

I hope you give it a read, especially if you're in the mood for a sweet young love story with a swoon worthy baseball player! 
It's available for purchase now so you can one click this one right away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment