Tuesday, August 25, 2015

BLOG TOUR REVIEW... Delayed Penalty by Sophia Henry




DELAYED PENALTY
Pilots Hockey #1
Sophia Henry
Releasing Sept 1st, 2015


She closed her heart long ago. He just wants to open her mind. For fans of Toni Aleo and Sawyer Bennett, the debut of Sophia Henry’s red-hot Detroit Pilots series introduces a hockey team full of complicated men who fight for love.

Auden Berezin is used to losing people: her father, her mother, her first love. Now, just when she believes those childhood wounds are finally healing, she loses something else: the soccer scholarship that was her ticket to college. Scrambling to earn tuition money, she’s relieved to find a gig translating for a Russian minor-league hockey player—until she realizes that he’s the same dangerously sexy jerk who propositioned her at the bar the night before.

Equal parts muscle and scar tissue, Aleksandr Varenkov knows about trauma. Maybe that’s what draws him to Auden. He also lost his family too young, and he channeled the pain into his passions: first hockey, then vodka and women. But all that seems to just melt away the instant he kisses Auden and feels a jolt of desire as sudden and surprising as a hard check on the ice.

After everything she’s been through, Auden can’t bring herself to trust any man, let alone a hot-headed puck jockey with a bad reputation. Aleksandr just hopes she’ll give him a chance—long enough to prove he’s finally met the one who makes him want to change.

BUY NOW
Amazon | B & N | iTunes | Kobo


This Book Nerd Says: 

I'm going to write up this review a little different. Instead of giving my rating at the end I'm going to throw it out the beginning and then break down my reasons for the rating afterwards. 

I'm giving this book a solid 3 Stars because I enjoyed it for the most part. 
First I want to talk about the characters. 
Delayed Penalty focuses on Aleksandr and Auden but I felt all the feels for Aleksandr. He is the hot Russian hockey star that lands in Auden's path. One might assume how a character is going to act but you'll probably be surprised. He isn't the egotistical, emotionally closed off character with a reputation for sleeping with all the puck bunnies... nope. Aleksandr  brings a depth to the character that I wasn't anticipating but that I relished!
Auden's character was different in that I found it hard to connect to her. This was disappointing because the story is written entirely from her POV. What was enjoyable was that she was very aware of her emotional limitations and the reasons behind them, even if it did take Aleksandr to help her change her perspective on her past. 

I enjoyed the story. It had some interesting hidden plot treasures that were uncovered along the way. Since I didn't expect them I thought they were unique and made the story different than the typical athlete love story. HOWEVER, I do wish we would have gotten a little bit more. 
That leads into another point. I feel like some of the detailings were off. I wanted way more details in some of the plot, and way less details in some of the details, maybe due to my disconnect with Auden's voice telling the story.

The story never drags which was a big plus, but that also means the pacing moved fast. At the end I was struggling with my feelings because I never really got to believe in their love story, not because it moved fast but more so because I don't think I ever understood WHY they fell for each other. 
As a debut I thought it was enjoyable, especially if you have a thing for yummy hockey players (I know I know). In a subgenre full of predictable tropes this one definitely stood out as unique even if I did want a little more from it. 


Enter to Win a 
Select Loveswept Ebook Bundle








Sophia Henry, a proud Detroit native, fell in love with reading, writing, and hockey all before she became a teenager. She did not, however, fall in love with snow. So after graduating with an English degree from Central Michigan University, she moved to North Carolina, where she spends her time writing books featuring hockey-playing heroes, chasing her two high-energy sons, watching her beloved Detroit Red Wings, and rocking out at concerts with her husband.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for featuring DELAYED PENALTY! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for hosting DELAYED PENALTY!

    ReplyDelete