Saturday, August 15, 2015

REVIEW... Sacrifice by Adriana Locke

My life changed forever the night my husband died.
I was left with a shattered heart, a heap of bills, and our daughter, EVERLEIGH. I don’t want to rely on anyone, least of all CREW GENTRY. He’s my first love and the man who almost destroyed me, the man who has let me down every time I’ve needed him.
But when tragedy strikes a second time, Crew just might be my only hope.

My life changed forever the night my brother died.
I was left with a guilty conscience, a pile of mistakes, and little else. I take care of JULIA GENTRY, my brother’s widow and the love of my life, and their daughter. I know she doesn’t want my help, but she gets it anyway. I owe her that.

When another disaster hits, I’m given the opportunity to make things right. I’m taking it. I'm willing to sacrifice it all.
 









This Book Nerd Says: 

So I admit I had this one on my TBR but was afraid to plunge in. As much I  was desperate for a great fighter story, I was wary about the brother's widow storyline aspect. So I waited until it was impossible to no longer resist (the book was practically calling my name y'all). Before I started to read I heard a bit of a buzz about this book among some book friends so I was definitely curious to see what had them so excited... I saw. 

"You gotta help me keep her safe, Crew. It's gonna take the both of us." 

Crew Gentry. Crew. Crew. Crew... god... can I just have him?
I loved everything about him. 
Locke did a beautiful job at creating a character that despite any rough edges was a solidly good man with an incredible heart. In fact it may have been the rough edges that made him even more appealing. I loved that he was a man in a true maturity sense of the word. Once he set his determination on something, there was only going to be follow through, no slip ups, second thoughts or doubts about it. He was the heart of the book. 

"There's never been a time in my life that I didn't love you. From the first time I saw you, you were the only girl for me." 

On the other hand it took me a little longer to warm up to Julia. Now I get the reasons for why she did what she did... and the way she acts the way she acts... so let's chalk it up to say that it was maybe probably definitely my love for Crew had me ready to shake her. I'll digress to say that I enjoyed seeing her come to the realization of her heart coming back to life again. 
This story was a heart twister for so many reasons but I could empathize with Julia so much. Her emotional battles of having to be the strong one in the most trying time of her life coupled with the fact that she often felt helpless and out of control of everything around her. Julia character was the soul of the book. 

Crew and Julia. Heart and Soul. 
I haven't read a good "fighter" book in a long time. This was everything I could hope for. It was an emotional read and even though I could predict some of the plot direction it kept me engaged and captive as I turned page after page. I was proud of myself that I was able to keep my tear ducts under control until about the 85% mark and then I gave up the fight. 
I found the epilogue beautifully done even if I was holding my breath and trying not to drop a stray tear on my kindle the entire time.  
I truly hope we get another book for Crew's best friend Will because he was a definite scene stealer and I would love to see the layers under all that fun loving personality. 

Overall I'm giving SACRIFICE 4 Stars and Mr. Crew Gentry has definitely earned himself a spot on my book boyfriend list!

Hope you check it out and let me know how you like it! Happy Reading!!



No comments:

Post a Comment