Thursday, September 17, 2015

ARC REVIEW... Rolling In The Deep by Rebecca Rogers Maher



In this raw, moving novel for readers of Jill Shalvis, Molly O’Keefe, and Karina Halle, two kindred spirits share a winning lottery ticket—and discover what it really means to get lucky.

Holly Ward is stretched to the breaking point, raising her young son alone and working long hours for minimum wage at a local superstore. Sure, she’s noticed the new guy with the easy grin and warm brown eyes, but she’s learned the hard way that relationships aren’t worth the pain. Still, when he invites her to split a lottery ticket, she figures a little innocent fun couldn’t hurt. The last thing she expects is to score big, which is exactly what happens . . . in more ways than one.

From the moment he meets Holly, Ray Lopez is drawn to her quiet dignity and openhearted beauty. And when they hit the jackpot together, he’s thrilled that the single mom can give her kid a better life. The only problem is the chaos surrounding them: lawyers and reporters swarming, friends and family angling to get their cut. In all the chaos, Ray discovers an oasis of calm and passion in Holly. But with the stakes higher than ever, winning her trust could cost him everything.







*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says: 

Before I read this book I expected a short fun read with a happily ever and I am pleased to report that I got exactly that. 
Both Holly and Ray are working in a less than desirable job doing pretty much the opposite of what they really want to do. Holly is struggling to provide the life that her son Drew truly deserves and after her last relationship she's not looking to start anything new... not even with the great looking new guy on the job. 

Ray has been trying to find a way to ask Holly out on a date since he saw her and her beautiful kind eyes.  A casual conversation leads to them going half on a lottery ticket. Whether it's luck or fate (I think it's a bit of both), the decision changes their future forever.  

This book is a short read so things move pretty fast but the story is fully wrapped up in the ending and I was left with a refreshed sigh. Ray's character was definitely my favorite of the two. He is just the sweetest and I enjoyed seeing him reach out to grab hold of his desires and wants realizing that while his win may have been pure luck, he wasn't about to waste a minute of his life anymore. 
I did like Holly but I wish she would have found her strength sooner and more independently. Usually I'm all for the supportive best friend (and I still am even in this case) but I just would have really liked to see single mom Holly find her  inner  "mama bear" and put her ex in his place. 

Like I said, this was a light fun feel good type of read and it was a great palate cleanser from some of the denser stories. I am giving Rolling In The Deep 3 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment