Thursday, September 3, 2015

REVIEW... FORGOTTEN TREASURES by D. Hart

In the aftermath of destruction, hearts were destroyed, strengths were stripped, and vulnerabilities were exposed. 

A community was ripped apart after a tragic accident, and the loss hit one family particularly hard as it claimed the lives of three, leaving only one surviving member to pick up the pieces and move forward.

Baylor’s life was wiped clean in the blink of an eye. No family, no home, no name. That is, until she met Brandt. He took a chance, giving her hope and a reason to start over. A reason to rebuild a life full of forgotten memories. A reason to trust. A reason to love. 

Finding love in all the right places should be easy, but when truths are revealed, it's anything but. Brandt will help her rediscover the true meaning of unconditional eternal love that will prove painful, life altering, and redeeming.

Together, they will try to face the future and will use each other’s strengths to learn how to live again. Can they rewrite history, or in the end, will the tragedies of their pasts be too much?



*I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says: 

The cover and the synopsis of this book really intrigued me so I was excited to give this book a read. 
When we meet Baylor, she doesn't know that she's Baylor. She's waken up from a coma with no remembrance of anything that truly matters and soon she's dependent on the kindness of strangers who seem to be her guardian angels. Brandt and Grady appear and give her hope that maybe the future holds more than just being the girl who can't remember. But as she begins to move forward the frustration of not remembering leads her to wonder if the past was what she was trying to forget all along. 

"I remember." 

This was a quick read for me and I read it in a couple of hours one afternoon. IT deals with some serious issues and I loved that the author went there and put the discussion of PTSD, depression, and grief right out there on the pages. 
I found the story to be engrossing yet a predictable ride. The characters' pain was palpable and even though it was an emotional ride I didn't find this to be a tear jerker kind of read. I think that the story may have lost something in the POV that it was written in, and when other POVs were entered in the second half of the book I feel like my theory that I would have enjoyed a 3rd person POV a bit better was proven. 

That being said this book had two incredible things going for it. Brandt and Grady. These two were by far my favorite aspects of the book. 
Brandt is truly the rock of this book. There were so many times that my heart twisted and knotted up for him. I think he's the face that most people can relate to going to the mental distress... the face of the one holding it all together on the outside for the sake of everyone else. As much as I loved his story, I felt that FORGOTTEN TREASURES loses a few opportunities to really pull back the layers and let us really get to know the Brandt before Baylor and his real innerworkings in the support of her after. 
I also enjoyed Grady but I feel like he didn't get enough of the spotlight... and yet too much. I know that sounds completely contradictory but I think that others who read it can understand what I'm stuck about. I'm fairly certain that the author was setting the ground work for a follow up featuring him but sometimes I felt like he stole some of the attention from Brandt who really transforms as the real hero of the book by the end. 

The last thing I want to say is that while the build up to the revelation was a pretty decent paced, everything after the "remembrance" seemed to happen really fast and it seemed to detract from the everything we just discovered. It was a lot of information... a lot of emotions and then the epilogue seemed to just be there with even more information. 

It was a true life is not perfect, it's real kind of love story. The love scenes were not explicit and tastefully left to the reader's imagination, so if you're looking for a cleaned up romance this may be a great pick for you.

I'm giving FORGOTTEN TREASURES... 3 Stars. 


Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment