Wednesday, September 30, 2015

SPOTLIGHT REVIEW... What Comes Of Eating Doughnuts With A Boy Who Plays Guitar by Nicole Campbell

Courtney Ross has lived her whole life doing everything by the book. She’s a top student, the captain of the cheer squad at her Scottsdale high school, and a nervous wreck most of the time. For summer vacation before senior year, she finally has her chance just to relax. She will be spending it with her best friend, Vanessa, in her tiny hometown of Gem City, Ohio. Courtney’s hoping for a chance to breathe, and maybe even for some of Vanessa’s carefree nature to rub off on her. What she doesn’t expect is Ethan Fisher. Courtney knows she’s in trouble the minute she sees him holding a guitar at her “Welcome Back” party. Her instincts prove to be correct as she gets to know him, and she finds her head spinning. What will this mean for the girl who always plays by the rules? 

In her first full-length novel, Nicole Campbell delivers a perfect beach read for the older Young Adult crowd. Readers will re-live their first relationships (the good, the bad, and the overwhelming), or imagine the spark of what the future might hold in this story full of the type of intensity only found in young love.

Due to mature themes and mild language, recommended for readers 16+





*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

This Book Nerd Says: 

I love a good love story, I think that's pretty much common knowledge for everyone who stops by here regularly. Reading DOUGHNUTS gave me a taste of the kind of story that doesn't always make it on my radar. A true first love kind of story and all the highs and lows that come along with it. 

Before I really get into it let me make it clear that DOUGHNUTS is a Mature YA read. The characters are still in high school on the cusp of their senior year. It's something I reminded myself of a few times as I started the story because it definitely reads as a Young Adult novel. So where does the mature ya aspect kick in? Along with falling in love for the first time, the story includes the development of the relationship and discusses some mature themes HOWEVER, I found that the author did so very discreetly and there is nothing graphic about the story. 

Doughnuts stood out to me for how real it felt. There were times when I was felt the trouble brewing or raised my eyebrows at the strong emotions but then I stopped and thought about it. How would any other seventeen or eighteen year old react when faced with their first love having to face the incredible test of distance? 
Pretty much exactly like Courtney and Ethan. 

Keeping it spoiler free... I really loved how Campbell developed the story, in particular Courtney's character. As much as this is a story of young love, it's also a story of Courtney coming into her own as an emerging adult. That's what made me smile the most at the end of the story. More than anything I enjoyed seeing Courtney say what she needed to say, finding her own voice and her own path. 

The ending definitely wasn't a cliff hanger but rather it was somewhat of an open ending... gives some room for prediction and thought for the reader. 
A sneak peek of the next book in the series revealed that it would give us Ethan's side of the story. 

Overall I'm giving DOUGHNUTS 3.5-.3.75 stars. 
It was a lovely story and maybe just the thing for someone craving something... sweet!

(Also I loved the playlist incorporated with the beginning of each chapter!!! It definitely added something to the tone of the chapter and gave a sort of ambiance to what I was reading.)

No comments:

Post a Comment