Saturday, November 14, 2015

ARC REVIEW... My Soul To Keep by Kennedy Ryan





It seems the things worth keeping are often the hardest to hold...

KAI

I had two things in life that mattered. My mother and my music. 
Mama was taken from me too soon, and now music is all I have left. It’s the thing that’s pushed me right out of backwoods Georgia into Los Angeles, where the line between fantasy and reality shimmers and blurs. I’m finally making my way, making my mark. I can’t afford to fall for one of music's brightest stars. Not now. Music is all I have left, and I’m holding on tight with both hands. I won’t let go, not even for Rhyson Gray.

RHYSON

I had one thing in my life that mattered – music. The only constant, it’s taken me to heights most people only dream about; a gift dropped in my lap at birth. I thought it was enough. I thought it was everything until I met Kai. Now she’s all I think about, like a song I can't get out of my head. If I have to chase her, if I have to give up everything - I will. And once she's mine, I won't let go. 






*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

THIS BOOK NERD SAYS: 
This is the first book in a brand new series by Kennedy Ryan. I was completely sold by the synopsis and the story has me a bit hooked for all the right reasons. 
Let me back up for a bit...
The story opens in Kai's voice. We quickly get a peek into her close and treasured relationship with her mother coming to a close. In those moments we immediately get a good grasp on her dreams and we later come to discover her fears. 
When her path crosses the famed Rhyson Gray she's determined to keep him at arms length to allow nothing to deter her path to success on the stage. 
Rhyson knows from the first moment he sees Kai that she is different from anyone he's ever met before and the feelings that he feels are too strong to deny. He's determined to have her...

He could have me (sorry I'm not sorry). Rhyson was everything I needed in a book boyfriend when I sat down to read this book. He's got the sweet alpha down pact and even though he stumbles from time to time, he was most definitely forgiveable (and lickable). 
Kai. 
I enjoyed her character even more. I understood her reasoning and principles even if at times I wanted her to let go of all the unnecessary worry and give in already. 
This book had the long simmering tension between Kai and Rhyson down to a science. The attraction, chemistry, and passion is there from their first interaction... and then BAM simmer
And then more simmer. 
And a tiny bit more before I ended up saying YES FINALLY. But it was worth the wait. I actually appreciated it a bit more because during all that simmering story... Kennedy Ryan actually made me believe in their undeniable attraction. I knew all the whys... 


Kai and Rhyson have a pretty strong and enjoyable "supporting cast". There was a perfect amount of their backstory that pulled me into their characterization a bit more despite me not really liking them at the moment. So for those few characters that got my side eye... I will be hoping they redeem themselves in the series to come. 

It was a lovely story that ends with a slight cliff hanger because if you are like me you're going to need to know what's going to happen  (don't say I didn't warn ya!)

I'm giving this one 4 Stars!

And make sure you pop back over here on Monday! I'll be helping celebrate this book's release and there'll be a fun excerpt and giveaway to check out as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment