Monday, December 28, 2015

#MCM FIVE STAR REVIEW... Vertical Lines (The Vert Series #1) by Kristen Kehoe



An artist and a smart girl.
A staid family and a broken one.
She’s adorably literal; he’s big and quietly emotional.

Jordana Richards was determined to make the best of her post high school life, despite the fact that nothing about her current college experience was of her choosing: not the school or the major, and definitely not the place. But it wasn't home, so that's something. Yet, the harder she tried to fit in, the less she felt like she did. 

Until the night she said screw it. 

Until the night she walked out on her parents and bought her very own piece of cake.

The same night she met Brooklyn Novak: brooding artist, huge man, overall scary human being who took a keen interest in her.

Brooklyn was out of ideas. He had no art, because really, his subjects had no soul. When the girl at the convenience store clicked her way into his life on five hundred dollar shoes and the fumes of a tantrum, this changed. Jordana Richards: the rich girl with a mission who gave Brooklyn the spark he needed to create again. 

Uncomfortable with their attraction, Brooks and Jordan strike a deal: he'll help her have fun, she'll be his muse for as long as he needs. Simple.

Yeah right.

The more time they spend together, the more both of them realize that what started out as a convenient relationship is now transitioning to vital, and neither knows how to deal with it.

When a truth comes to light that has the potential to break both of their worlds, Jordan and Brooks have to decide how deep their feelings really go, and just how much they are willing to sacrifice in order to be together.







This Book Nerd Says: 

I stumbled across this book via Instagram. The cover caught my eye of course because... gah I just love it... but the synopsis only intensified my desire to read it as soon as I could. Fast forward to a empty Sunday afternoon and I dove in...

I didn't come up for air until there was nothing more to be read. 

"She's not entitled, just privileged. And something else." 

Vertical Lines was one of the stories that gave me so much more of a story than I was anticipating. The kind of story that I found myself nerding out in a "you've got you NEED to check this book out!" kinda way to anyone in listening distance afterwards. (This is far warning to the geek out covered review that's about to happen...) 

In a genre that can sometimes give us those insta-love stories that don't quite register as believable with me. I found this one to have all the things I love about New Adult books AND all the things I love in a love story blended together in a perfect tale that had the pleasant mark of being believably realistic.
For me this book told me that Kristen Kehoe sure knows how to write a love story. It was written with a true sense of New Adult maturity and a beautiful sense of wisdom and understanding. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this well crafted love story. 

I think the synopsis does a good job at telling you all you need to know about the plot before walking in so I don't really want to do too much more elaboration on that except that this plot is that and so much more. They aren't drawn together solely because of physical attraction. It's something greater that acts as a magnetic force that pulls them together until it feels like it's more natural than ever being apart. 
Everything about Vertical Lines had a pleasant naturalness about it. Their connection felt genuine. Their issues and conflicts weren't overdone and sprang forth from very real issues. It all came together and worked out into something that still makes me feel content with every bit of it. 

If I had to pick a favorite character in this story I wouldn't be able to because I love ALL the characters.  
I loved both of the MCs from the very beginning and throughout the story my love for them just continued to grow deeper. Both Brooklyn and Jordana are talented, intelligent, and strong. They are so full of strength that sometimes they don't know it but it's there, undeniable and has you rooting for them in everything. I love that they found that they complimented one another. 
But it doesn't end with them. 
Since this is the first book in a series, it does a remarkable job at introducing us to the "supporting cast" and it goes even further by making me fall in love with all of them. Even the ones I was unsure of quickly reassured that redemption was on the horizon. 
If you're familiar with the blog you'll know that the mark of a great read for me is walking away not with the book boyfriend... but with the book bestie. Vertical Lines does this several times over. 
Watching the bond that Brooklyn, Nala, Hunter, and Mal have was emotional for me. The familial love that came with their bond transcended to include Jordan and I felt myself thrilled for her to know what that kind of friendship and family felt like. Even putting that aside, her relationship with Nala stands out firmly in my mind as another favorite. 

Ah I could gush on and on but I'm going to stop myself and end it with this. 
Vertical Lines is a new favorite book of mine. 
I love this book. I love these characters. I have a strong feeling I'm going to love this series. 
I'll be stalking the release of the next book and I will be sure to let you know all about it!

FIVE STARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment