Monday, January 18, 2016

Spotlight Review... The Weight Of Rain by Mariah Dietz






One night changed my life—one that I barely remember. 

When I close my eyes, my mind paints a picture of his smile and shades the contours of his hands, the deep scar around his bicep. 

I'm an artist, yet my hands are unsteady. With his presence, he has unknowingly broken that something inside of me that makes me who I am. 

Being around him is like standing in a rainstorm. First the drops tickle my skin, and then they coat me, refusing to be ignored. Finally, they soak into me, reaching parts of me I don’t think anyone has ever touched.

When dreams turn into reality, will the picture in my mind transfer to paper? 








This Book Nerd Says: 

So can we have a moment of truth... I totally forgot the synopsis of this book before I started to read it. I had one clicked it when it first released but I started reading it without a real reminder of what I was about to walk into...
I was very pleasantly satisfied. 
Lauren has come to Oregon from the Midwest with the sole purpose of pursuing her dreams of being an artist. After an antitypical night of letting her guard down with a stranger, she can't stop thinking about him. She only remembers a name... 
When her sometimes friendly sometimes not roommate recommends her for a Nanny job. Lo is taught about friendship, family, and love from many surprising sources. 

While some of the story I predicted there was much more that I didn't really foresee coming and that made it all even sweeter. First off can we say that I am in love with little Mercedes. Her sass and spunk is only matched by her tender heart. I love the way that Lo slowly but persistently broke down the barriers and taught her to overcome the hurtful words of bullies... it was strengthening to both characters and gave even us readers a take away reminder. 

The relationship between Lo and King definitely had a slow simmer after their reunion. But I loved King's no nonsense approach after he set his mind on seeing their relationship through. 

"I won't take advantage of you, but I need your trust, and I need you to stop trying to set me up to fail." 

While Lo's hesitation and feels the desire to cut and run frustrated me at times... throughout the story I gained such a clearer perspective on why Lo reacted the way she did. It's hard to accept love when you spend much of your life feeling unlovable. 
What I loved most about Lo and King's relationship was the fact that they pushed each other to find their own greatness in pursuit of their individual dreams. A lot of that maturity came from King (adding to my reasons that I love him). 

The only thing that kept this at 4 stars was that I felt it was a little too slow in the beginning to get to the first set of revelations and it got a little repetitive but once the ball got rolling it just kept getting better and better. 

It's available now so go and check it out and let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment